Saturday, July 01, 2006

If You Need Me...Don't
My father is a wuss. I can't say it in any plainer language than that. Whenever my brother's or I would get hurt, he would always grab his hair, scream "Good Gracious!" and run in the opposite direction.

Once when I was about six, I was outside on the back patio playing circus with my dog. My father was out in the garden hoeing and my mother was inside washing dishes. I was using a heavy concrete block as a pedestal, and I was trying to get the dog on top of it. As I was situating the dog, the block began to fall and in an effort to save my pet, the block landed on my hand. I can remember looking at it grow ghastly white before blood began pouring out of my fingers. I screamed. My dad stopped hoeing and looked over at me. I began running toward him. He stayed there long enough to see me holding out a bloody hand, before he picked up his hoe and began to run. Away from me. I screamed, "Daddy!" in an attempt to make him stop. He picked up the pace. My mother heard me screaming and came outside to find her six year old daughter chasing her husband around the garden. I can still see little puffs of dirt being kicked up by my father's shoes. It literally looked as if he was running so fast, his shoes were smoking.
When my mother caught up with me, she had a look of utter disgust on her face. Not for me but for my father, who had finally stopped running and was warily watching the proceedings from a safe distance away, while continuing to hold on to his hoe.
"You are ridiculous!" She screamed at him. "This baby needs you and your running away!"
"Foot! You know I can't stand the sight of blood!" He yelled from across the garden. I could barely hear him from so far a distance.
My mother scooped me up and carried me to the doctor. I ended up requiring stitches and breaking several fingers. When I woke up the next morning, my dad was sitting on my bed waiting for me to wake up so he could explain why he ran away.

And then there was the time I got choked...

7 Comments:

Blogger 小蘋果 said...

*gaping*

Please tell me you're kidding.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Maddie said...

Sadly...no! The good news is when ever we got spankings from him they never hurt so it wasn't always a bad thing.

8:45 AM  
Blogger sharonje927 said...

LOOL!!

Oh our mother is like that to Kimmie.

We didnt remember the incident but our grandmother took delight in retelling this: me and my twin were playing under the bed when we were just a toddler. I don't know why they didn't notice it. LOL! Then after a few moments, we both went came out from under the bed crying because Sharie has cut her finger with a blade we saw under the bed. And according to them when Sharie started crying I cried too (but I didn't have any cuts) and we ran to our mother.

But when she saw the blood dripping from Sharie's fingers, she also ran away and screamed and told us to go to our grandmother.

LOOOL! Our grandmother scolded her and said that if it was only her at the house that time, her daughter will just die of bleeding and she won't do a thing.

:D

9:48 AM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

I'm not fond of blood either. But I tend to freak out more when my kids barf especially since they tend to barf on me.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO, that story was too funny!

Love your blog, Maddie

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sharie said...

ROTFLOL!!!
Your dad is soo funny as always Kimmie!!!

LW has already told the similar story about us....

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LMAO Too funny.

I'm not a real fan of blood either, but let's face it - sometimes you just need to take care of business! But cut Daddy some slack. Just think. . . blood to him = mouse to you! LOL

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home