Monday, March 26, 2007

Am I The Only One Who Doesn't Hate This Guy?

Howard K. Stern was an enabler. He had a penchant for using the video camera at oddly inappropriate times. But was he a murderer? If you listen to Greta Van Sustren or Nancy Grace repeatedly re-word the same question to Dr. Perper over and over again in an effort to find one tiny syllable that might indicate foul play, then yes he was.

First, let me say, Howard K. Stern has many faults. He should have grown a backbone and stood up to Anna Nicole Smith, as opposed to meekly standing by while she shoved pills down her throat. But, I think I understand his position.

I have a friend who is a drug addict. She was in a car accident and got hooked to prescription drugs. Four DUI's later, she still keeps the road hot, despite the fact that she has evaded state prosecution on a technicality. By law, she is a felon and should do jail time.

I had neck surgery and take muscle relaxers and Lortab regularly to manage the pain. I've caught her stealing my badly needed medication.

I caught one of her drugged out friends (that she brought over) with her hand down my purse.

The local manager at Krystal's (oh, the indignity) found her passed out in the drive through and had to retrieve her cell phone and redial the last number to get someone to drive her home.

I offered her a job at my advertising firm and took her with me to a very important meeting so she could get the feel of things. She dug out her fingernail clippers and cut her toenails during the meeting.

She passed out in the only lane in front of City Hall with a half eaten hamburger in her mouth. After a driver got tired of waiting for her to go, she got out to see if everything was okay and promptly called the cops when my friend was startled awake with McDonald's falling out of her cheek.

I know that my friend drives. I know that she should not. She's been in numerous car accidents involving drugs and luckily, has not killed anyone...yet. But if she does, am I culpable? After all, I should call the police and tell them to be on the look out for her and provide them with her tag number. Why don't I?

Because I love her. Each time she tells me that 'this is it' and she's going to be clean, I choose to believe her. I want her to get better so bad, that I fall for her story each and every time. All of our other friends have left and have urged me to do the same, but I keep hoping that one of those times she tells me she's going to get clean, she really will. That's the optimist in me.

Perhaps Howard K. Stern suffers with the same problem that I do.

The media's decision to condemn this man, even before the cause of death was released, is scary. Maybe HKS is a murderer, maybe he did shove that medicine down her throat to keep her manageable...but where's the proof. Not speculation...proof.

Despite her theatrics, I have enjoyed watching Nancy Grace during the coverage of Anna's death, but tonight, she crossed the line. In the segway leading to the discussion, she had 'serious' music and pictures of Anna. She included video of HKS pulling a hair out of ANS mouth, but blurred it to make it look like he was putting something in in her mouth. Nancy's message was clear.

"Whether the evidence supports it, you are guilty. I'll make sure of it."

If I may borrow your own phrase Nancy Grace, and put my own personal spin on it, I find you not in contempt, but contemptable.

3 Comments:

Blogger D. Prince said...

Holy Shit Maddie!
That sounds like one hell of an experience.

I couldn't agree more about Howard Stern, I never bought into that whole "murderer" thing.

Great post, glad you're back.

9:39 PM  
Blogger David said...

I thought your husband is a policeman. Does he have any suggestions. Obviously, the most critical change us Americans have to make is to recognize destructive things people do and do something positive about them. This was a serious topic for you. But, glad you're back because you make me laugh (but not this time).

10:12 PM  
Blogger Maddie said...

MR. DAVIE!! I'm glad your back!

Yes, my husband is a cop, but unfortunately, my friend does not live in his jurisdiction. You can rest assured that if she did, she'd be where she needs to be right now...under constant supervision. I honestly think that might save her life.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home