Monday, September 11, 2006

Awakening

I will always remember because I could never forget,
the blood that flowed through ash and made our streets wet.

I will always remember my countrymen who lost their lives,
The sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, the husbands and wives.

I will always remember the screams that filled the air,
when it became obvious that help could not get there.

I will always remember the silence that soon came,
as we watched the towers crumble in a concrete filled rain.

I will always remember the cries of agony and pain,
as each one of us realized life would never be the same.

I will always remember the firemen who rushed into their tombs,
and in my sleep I hear their children say, 'Will my daddy be home soon?"

I will always remember my president standing on the rubble,
who assured us Al Queda had found what they sought...trouble.

I will always remember the first year, the second and the third,
and as the tanks with soilders roll out, I'm glad he kept his word.

I will always remember the charred ground from flight 93,
and I know that easily could have been you or me.

I will always remember the lives that were lost that day,
I pray that God shines His light and we let Him lead the way.

Author Unknown

You may not agree with everything that happens in this country, but please remember that we are all united in one cause. Freedom. Thank you to all the men and women who selflessly give their time and in some cases, their lives. I salute you and you are the reason I enjoy the freedoms I do. I promise to teach my children to respect and reflect on what you've done and the sacrifices you've made.

May God bless our country, our cause and each of us as we navigate our way through these treacherous times.

7 Comments:

Blogger T-girl said...

Kisses!

Great tribute- T

10:47 PM  
Blogger sharonje927 said...

Very great poem!

And very great words, Maddie!

3:55 AM  
Blogger Sharie said...

Love the poem Maddie!!!

Such a touching entry! :)

1:38 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Very well said.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that babe.

And we can't forget. Ever.

5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

another year as come and gone and what have we done? another year over, a new one just begun. (celine dion)

i'm far, far away from new york. but this event struck close to home for even me way down here in MS. my thoughts are with everyone.

p.s. i heard they are rebuilding the towers.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Maddie. What a beautiful and eloquent message.

As I watched the documentaries and the tributes over the past week,it reminded me again that when we think of heroes we must think of that day and how many people showed acts of bravery. They still leave me in awe. The firefighters, law enforcement, the security personnel, the brave passengers on Flight 93...We must always remember
and be forever grateful for those that risked their lives to save others. For those that paid the ultimate price I hope we will forever keep the families left behind in our prayers and in our hearts.

Please keep our troops in your prayers and thoughts also. My baby-faced 20 yr old nephew left August 27th to serve his country over in Iraq. I am so proud of him and all the servicemen and women who are serving. They, too, are the heroes that must not be forgotten.

Bren.

10:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home