Friday, September 08, 2006

So Long My Friend
When my parent's house burned to the ground in May, I inherited my father's dog, Bill Bob. Bill Bob was fifteen years old and he was featured occasionally on this blog. Bill Bob's stay with us was temporary until my father could have a privacy fence built at their new home. In the meantime, my father would come over everyday after work and spend about an hour with Bill Bob to make sure he knew my dad hadn't forgot him.

Sometime between last night and this morning, Bill Bob was struck by a car and died. My neighbor, who has become very fond of the dog, knocked on my door and shared the bad news with me. My heart broke for my father. He loved this dog. So I got Billy to go check and make sure it was really Bill Bob although I knew deep down it was. As soon as I got the confirmation call, I threw on some clothes and headed to my dad's business.

"Hey dad...I have some bad news." I said in a quiet voice I didn't even recognize. I looked him in the eye, praying that he would guess so I wouldn't have to say the words.

His face instantly grew serious. "What is it?!" Still, I waited.

"Bill Bob's dead," I informed him in a near whisper. "He got run over by a car. Billy's going to get him now and bury him for you."

"Don't tell me that! Don't tell me that!" my father demanded, pacing back and forth. "I don't want to see him...I can't see him. It'll kill me."

My mother was in the background crying softly before becoming angry. "What was his tail doing out of the fence anyway?!" She asked no one in particular. Bill Bob was an escape artist. There was no fence that could keep him in, despite our numerous attempts. Our yard looked like Sanford and Son from all the things we had put in front of the fence to keep him in.

My father sat down on some boxes, buried his face in his hands...and cried like a baby. "Well, I guess my boy's gone. I gotta move on now. He was my best friend but I can't let it get me down. I gotta move on. But I'm through with dogs. There'll never be another one like him." I looked at his hands. They were soaking wet. I put my arm around him and waited for him to gain his composure. We sat together for a few minutes before my father took a deep breath.

He picked up the phone and called Billy and requested that Bill Bob be buried where he was born...the empty lot where my parents house once stood on the hill a few short months ago. He said he wanted him taken 'home'.

17 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

~tears running down my cheeks~

*hugs*

11:39 AM  
Blogger Maddie said...

Thanks Jen...I need 'em. This has been the worst year ever.

The irony is...the dog survived the fire only to get killed three months later.

11:47 AM  
Blogger The Mistress said...

Too much sadness in too short a time.

*more hugs*

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Jen...*tears*

I'm so sorry to hear this hun. HUGS to you and your father.

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kimberly, I'm so sorry for your loss. (((HUGS)))

D

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am sorry for your loss. i can't stand the thought of a pet being injured. actually, i can't stand the thought of any animal being hurt in any way. i actually got scared for a squirell the other day.

3:14 PM  
Blogger David said...

Bill Bob lived to be 18! That's great! Rosie is eleven years old, and she looks it when she lies around the house. But,when she's outside, she runs around like a puppy. I feel your dad's pain.

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know my heart is breaking for you and your daddy. But like I told you. . . . he's up in heaven now with all his furry friends, and he has all his teeth!

Bill Bob was the world's BEST Cockermation!

4:06 PM  
Blogger T-girl said...

Oh! I am sorry! What a shitty way to face a day!!!!

You know though something you said struck me. He survived the fire because that wasn't his way. His time was near though and he had to go on his terms to to speak. He died doing what he enjoyed and being his own dog to the fullest, the escape artest he is! LOL

I know how frustrating this is though! :( I lost my favorite pet ever last year in a similar circumstance. I am still morning that damn cat, it has been a YEAR you'd think I would get over it by now but damn it, there will ever be another one like her!

Big hugs for your Daddy, Mama and you!

Love- T

4:19 PM  
Blogger Prunella Jones said...

Poor Bill Bob and Daddy! I would cry like a baby if my dog Shirley got run over on one of her "joy runs."

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this, Kim! Your poor daddy. I know the feeling when our childhood dog died. We never had another dog like her again. Aww, but at least your dad had 15 years to love him. Hug your dad for me.

10:09 PM  
Blogger 小蘋果 said...

:~~~~(

10:11 PM  
Blogger D. Prince said...

Maddie that is just so sad.
What a year from Hell!

Please give your Dad a hug from all of us and a squeeze for you.

XOXOXOXO

Jody

12:07 AM  
Blogger Sharie said...

Kimmie (((((HUGS))))))

So sorry to hear about Bill Bob.

Give my hugs to your dad too!

10:19 AM  
Blogger sharonje927 said...

(((Maddie)))

*sniff* I remember the laughs we had in the chat where you are telling us his antics.

Hugs to your Dad.

3:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Maddie, I'm so sorry. Big hugs coming your way.

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your dad. Lots of hugs to you and your family.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home